Re: bug#8247: How to write an application

From: alfred inacio
Subject: Re: bug#8247: How to write an application
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:26:35 -0400

Adding core utils back on CC. Yes. I tried that program before contacting you... I did a pwd in my terminal, then tried to do a ctr+v into another window and the clipboard still had older data. . .

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 3:23 PM, alfred inacio <address@hidden> wrote:
I tried xclip. It didn't seem to work. I'm using ubuntu 10 lts.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
On 03/14/2011 12:31 PM, alfred inacio wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for your help here. I know exactly what I want, a very simple
> application which copies the output into the clipboard... for example, say
> my program is called bordpst... then if I did this:
>
> pwd > bordpst
>
> then, I went into my GUI and pressed ctrl + v, I would paste the directly I
> was in from above. I couldn't find anything like this. Maybe I didn't look
> hard enough?

Sounds like you want to reinvent xclip.

pwd | xclip

then you can ctrl-v that output into anything that understands how to
read the X clipboard.  But that's a much more complex program than one
of the GNU Coreutils, since it involves interactions with X11 code.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682