[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [PATCH 6/6] tests: avoid spurious parallel failure due to temporary
Re: [PATCH 6/6] tests: avoid spurious parallel failure due to temporary disk full
Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:55:29 +0200
Pádraig Brady wrote:
> On 04/04/11 10:08, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Pádraig Brady wrote:
>>> On 04/04/11 06:13, Jim Meyering wrote:
>>>> From: Jim Meyering <address@hidden>
>>>> Running the new fiemap-empty test uses 600MB of disk space via
>>>> fallocate, and in so doing caused failure in unrelated tests that
>>>> were running in parallel on a small file system. Rather than
>>>> simply running fallocate (which allocates the space, inducing
>>>> disk full when it fails), skip the test if there is less than
>>>> 800MB of free space, as computed via stat and awk.
>> Thanks for looking.
>>> Oops sorry.
>>> Maybe worth noting is that stat works at a lower level,
>> Not sure what you mean? Both use statfs.
> Oops right. df uses f_bavail, so perhaps it might
> be better to use %a rather than %f with `stat`?
Oh, yes. Definitely.
I had thought I was using that one,
but had skimmed the descriptions too quickly (I spotted "superuser"
in the description of %a, so went with %f ;-).
I may adjust stat --help's description of %f to say this:
%a Free blocks available to non-superuser
%f Free blocks in file system (available to superuser)
> This fallocate() behavior is annoying anyway,
> as I'm not sure when it's useful, except for
> filling up a file system.
> It seems like a this would be useful.
> #define FALLOC_FL_FULL_SIZE 0x03 /* allocate all or nothing */
I read fallocate's manual looking for a command-line option
like that when I realized that its behavior was at the root
of my non-deterministic test failures.
Sounds like it'd make a good new option, if not the default.
Re: minor test improvements, Jim Meyering, 2011/04/04
- [PATCH 1/6] tests: minor improvement of sc_tight_scope rule, (continued)
- [PATCH 1/6] tests: minor improvement of sc_tight_scope rule, Jim Meyering, 2011/04/04
- [PATCH 2/6] tests: convert common root-build test failure to a "skip", Jim Meyering, 2011/04/04
- [PATCH 3/6] tests: preserve-gid: remove useless use of "env", Jim Meyering, 2011/04/04
- [PATCH 4/6] tests: preserve-gid: don't chown temporary PATH dir to a nameless UID, Jim Meyering, 2011/04/04
- [PATCH 5/6] tests: don't ever leave a backgrounded "sleep 10m" process, Jim Meyering, 2011/04/04
- [PATCH 6/6] tests: avoid spurious parallel failure due to temporary disk full, Jim Meyering, 2011/04/04