Re: od --help: many translations provide invalid option advice

From: Erwin Poeze
Subject: Re: od --help: many translations provide invalid option advice
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 09:48:27 +0200

Hi Jim,

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 08:19:33PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> As spotted in
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/coreutils/+bug/784758
> fr.po makes "od --help" print invalid advice in French locales.
> Unfortunately, it's not just the short-name for the --strings option
> and it's not just the French locale that are affected.
>
> This shows 12 locales that are afflicted:
>
> [...]
>
> Is there some way that I (as upstream coreutils maintainer)
> can perform the global substitutions to correct all of those .po files?
> Of course, it would be better to have individual translation teams
> correct the modified translatable parts, too, but considering
> the percent-translated figures for some locales, I'd rather at least
> perform the minimal fix across the board.
>
> Here are similar changes:
>
> -  -b   same as -t oC, select octal bytes\n\
> +  -b   same as -t o1, select octal bytes\n\
>
> -  -l   same as -t d4, select decimal longs\n\
> +  -l   same as -t dL, select decimal longs\n\
>
> And here are some additions:
>
> +  -s   same as -t d2, select decimal 2-byte units\n\
> +  -x   same as -t x2, select hexadecimal 2-byte units\n\

How about the following approach. You send a mail to the translators assigned
the coreutils
with a request to change the strings you point out. If you do not get a reponse
in let say
2 weeks you can send me the modified po files and I'll replace the current
ones. Would that
work for you?

--
Erwin Poeze