Re: input/output redirection with tar

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: input/output redirection with tar
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:18:04 -0600

e-letter wrote:
> Eric Blake wrote:
> > Common convention among many unix tools is to treat '-' as a synonym for
> > stdin.  I don't know if 'info tar' explicitly calls this out, though
> > that would be a question for bug-tar.
> Couldn't find explanation in 'man tar' and after a few years, have yet
> to master navigation within 'info' documents! However, thanks again
> anyway. :)

The Unix man pages do.  See the -f option here for one example.

tar has had a long history using - for stdin and stdout.

The tar info pages say:

     If you give a single dash as a file name for `--files-from', (i.e.,
  you specify either `--files-from=-' or `-T -'), then the file names
  are read from standard input.