Re: Extend readlink -e

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Extend readlink -e
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 10:35:46 -0600

On 11/04/2011 10:31 AM, Peng Yu wrote:
Hi Eric,

[please don't top-post]

Thanks for letting me know. But it is not immediately obvious -f cover such
a case. This special case can be added to the manual.

        -f, --canonicalize
               canonicalize by following every symlink in every component of
the given name recursively; all but the last component must exist

I'm not sure I follow what you are asking for, then.

Please give a shell transcript that sets up a trivial file hierarchy, followed by the readlink command that you are trying to type, the output you get, and the output you want. I'm pretty sure that readlink already does what you want (whether without options, or with one of -e, -f, or -m), but without knowing what you are trying and the results you want to get, I'm not sure what to tell you is the answer to your situation.

--
Eric Blake   address@hidden    +1-801-349-2682