Re: command for relative path

From: Dmitry V. Levin
Subject: Re: command for relative path
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 02:57:26 +0400

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 04:41:14PM -0600, Peng Yu wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:45:56AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> > [...]
> >> http://docs.python.org/library/os.path.html

> >> Ah, so the idea is that python has a function that computes a relative
> >> pathname to one path given a starting point:
> >>
> >> $ relpath /usr/bin /tmp
> >> ../usr/bin
> >> $ relpath /usr/bin /usr/share
> >> ../bin
> >
> > Btw, there is an utility in freebsd ports called relpath:
>
> This is good to know.
>
> Just to double check. Due to the license for the FreeBSD's relpath, it
> can not be copied to coreutils. Right?

First, it is not FreeBSD's relpath, it's relpath from FreeBSD ports.
Second, even if the license and copyright terms would be acceptable,
the code quality of that relpath.c is certainly not.

However, that utility seems to be in use for a long time yet, so it might
be reasonable to reuse its name and usage interface (I'm not sure about -d
option, though).

--
ldv