Re: PATCH: relpath

From: Sebastien Andre
Subject: Re: PATCH: relpath
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 10:47:45 +0100

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:30:17AM +0100, Voelker, Bernhard wrote:
> Pádraig Brady wrote:
> > On 12/02/2011 01:21 AM, Guillaume Kielwasser wrote:
> > > and what about something like:
> > >
> > > getpath -C|--canon        // simulate realpath
> > > getpath -R|--relative     // simulate relpath
> > > getpath -L|--link         // simulate readlink
> >
> > A good suggestion, thanks.
> >
> > It's the right level of functionality to provide at the shell level.
>
> +1 from me.
>
> Just to think in another direction (not claiming this is the best idea):
> I could also imagine the --canon and --link functionality in stat.
> --relative doesn't suit there.
>
> Have a nice day,
> Berny

+1 from me too.

I fully agree it's the right level of functionality for shell scripts.

About options, I would add -e, --exist to produce an error when the path
doesn't exist.

The default behavior (when called without option) could be to print the full
path.

I would also rename --canon to --canonical to be consistent with other long
names that are not abreviated.

Cheers,
Sebastien