tail: use polling and inotify for mixed remote/local arguments?

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: tail: use polling and inotify for mixed remote/local arguments?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 09:23:52 +0100

I stumbled over this readme sentence:

> tail -f now uses polling (not inotify) when any of its file arguments
> resides on a file system of unknown type.

So I asked myself what happens if all file system types of all arguments
are known but one is "remote"? strace gave the answer: in that case,
tail uses polling for all arguments although it could use inotify for
at least some of them.

Is there a technical reason to do so, or is this just because the
implementation would be more complicated?

Have a nice day,
Berny