new snapshot available: coreutils-8.15.74-be17e3

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: new snapshot available: coreutils-8.15.74-be17e3
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:40:29 +0100

We want to release coreutils-8.16 soon, so here's a snapshot.
I'll let the NEWS and git shortlog details say the rest,
other than "Thanks!" to all who are helping.

coreutils snapshot:
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz      4.8 MB
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz.sig
  http://meyering.net/cu/coreutils-8.15.74-be17e3.tar.xz

Alternate download (the .sig files are here, too)
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-ss.tar.xz
  http://people.redhat.com/meyering/cu/coreutils-8.15.74-be17e3.tar.xz

NEWS
** New features

  As a GNU extension, 'chmod', 'mkdir', and 'install' now accept operators
  '-', '+', '=' followed by octal modes; for example, 'chmod +40 FOO' enables
  and 'chmod -40 FOO' disables FOO's group-read permissions.  Operator
  numeric modes can be combined with symbolic modes by separating them with
  commas; for example, =0,u+r clears all permissions except for enabling
  user-read permissions.  Unlike ordinary numeric modes, operator numeric
  modes do not preserve directory setuid and setgid bits; for example,
  'chmod =0 FOO' clears all of FOO's permissions, including setuid and setgid.

  Also, ordinary numeric modes with five or more digits no longer preserve
  setuid and setgid bits, so that 'chmod 00755 FOO' now clears FOO's setuid
  and setgid bits.  This allows scripts to be portable to other systems which
  lack the GNU extension mentioned previously, and where ordinary numeric
  modes do not preserve directory setuid and setgid bits.

  dd now accepts the count_bytes, skip_bytes iflags and the seek_bytes
  oflag, to more easily allow processing portions of a file.

  dd now accepts the conv=sparse flag to attempt to create sparse
  output, by seeking rather than writing to the output file.

  split now accepts an optional "from" argument to --numeric-suffixes,
  which changes the start number from the default of 0.

  split now accepts the --additional-suffix option, to append an
  additional static suffix to output file names.

  basename now supports the -a and -s options, which allow processing
  of more than one argument at a time.  Also the complementary
  -z option was added to delimit output items with the NUL character.

  dirname now supports more than one argument.  Also the complementary
  -z option was added to delimit output items with the NUL character.

** Bug fixes

  du --one-file-system (-x) would ignore any non-directory specified on
  the command line.  For example, "touch f; du -x f" would print nothing.
  [bug introduced in coreutils-8.15]

  mv now lets you move a symlink onto a same-inode destination file that
  has two or more hard links.  Before, it would reject that, saying that
  they are the same, implicitly warning you that the move would result in
  data loss.  In this unusual case, when not moving the symlink onto its
  referent, there is no risk of data loss, since the symlink will
  typically still point to one of the hard links.

  "mv A B" could succeed, yet A would remain.  This would happen only when
  both A and B were hard links to the same symlink, and with a kernel for
  which rename("A","B") does nothing and returns 0 (POSIX mandates this
  surprising rename no-op behavior).  Now, mv handles this case by skipping
  the usually-useless rename and simply unlinking A.

  realpath no longer mishandles a root directory.  This was most
  noticeable on platforms where // is a different directory than /,
  but could also be observed with --relative-base=/ or
  --relative-to=/.  [bug since the beginning, in 8.15]

** Improvements

  ls can be much more efficient, especially with large directories on file
  systems for which getfilecon-, ACL-check- and XATTR-check-induced syscalls
  fail with ENOTSUP or similar.

  'realpath --relative-base=dir' in isolation now implies '--relative-to=dir'
  instead of causing a usage failure.

  split now supports an unlimited number of split files as default behavior.

Changes in coreutils since v8.15:

Bernhard Voelker (4):
      doc: improve 'rm -f' description
      tests: remove unnecessary use of -lc
      tests: compile and link shared object with $CC to make LD_PRELOAD work
      maint: fix a version number typo in NEWS

Eric Blake (5):
      test: expose recent gnulib canonicalize bug
      realpath: fix problems with root handling
      tests: cover more realpath scenarios
      realpath: let --relative-to default to --relative-base
      realpath: optimize --relative-base usage

Jim Meyering (34):
      maint: post-release administrivia
      maint: factor out all `Try --help'-emitting statements
      maint: use new emit_try_help in place of equivalent fprintf
      maint: update quoting of "Try `prog --help'" to "Try 'prog --help'"
      maint: prep for global quoting changes: handle irregular cases manually
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest (quoting change)
      tests: adjust \`...' quoting to '...' to adapt to latest gnulib
      tests: change `...' to '...' on lines not matching /[=\$]/
      tests: more automated quote adjustment
      maint: adjust quoting: emit '...', not `...' in diagnostics
      maint: convert `...' to '...' in --help output
      maint: src/*.c: change remaining quotes (without embedded spaces)
      maint: src/*.[ch]: convert more `...' to '...'
      maint: straggler *.[ch] files: convert more `...' to '...'
      maint: adjust formatting of certain continued strings
      doc: tweak an @uref so its alt reference text renders in info
      tests: remove crufty test=test_name code from old tests
      build: update gnulib to latest, for test warning fixes
      maint: fix copyright in old fileutils ChangeLog
      maint: make copyright statements more consistent; update gnulib
      maint: use single copyright year range
      build: update gnulib, for syntax-check vs canonicalize fix
      mv: allow moving symlink onto same-inode dest with >= 2 hard links
      maint: sort: remove the last uses of "'%s'" in diagnostics
      mv: "mv A B" would sometimes succeed, yet A would remain, ...
      build: update gnulib, bootstrap, gl/lib/regcomp.c.diff
      build: correct @@-,length values in last hunk of regcomp.c.diff
      ls: optimize for when getfilecon would often fail (~33% perf. gain)
      ls: cache ACL- and CAP-querying syscall failures
      tests: test for ls speed-up
      doc: clarify a comment in system.h
      tests: fix help-version on cygwin, where $EXEEXT is nonempty
      maint: use an optimal-for-coreutils xz compression setting
      du: fix -x: don't ignore non-directory arguments

Jérémy Compostella (11):
      maint: add braces as requested by HACKING coding standard
      dd: add count_bytes, skip_bytes and seek_bytes flags
      split: support optional start value for --numeric-suffixes
      doc: fix file names in split --filter=command example
      tests: ls/getxattr-speedup: include <sys/types.h> for older headers
      split: add the --additional-suffix option
      doc: fix a wrong option reference in split invocation
      basename: support more than one argument
      doc: add missing documentation for basename -z
      split: support an arbitrary number of split files by default
      dirname: support more than one argument

Paul Eggert (5):
      maint: quote 'like this' or "like this", not `like this'
      sort: default to physmem/8, not physmem/16
      build: update gnulib submodule to latest
      chmod: add notations +40, 00440, etc.
      tests: new discriminator-based test for sort -n and -h

Pádraig Brady (13):
      maint: fix minor whitespace issues
      stat: clarify the description of the %o stat format
      realpath: remove extraneous '/' for --relative-to edge cases
      maint: use the standard require_perl_ function
      realpath: avoid the use of printf
      maint: cleanup an extraneous version output in a test
      maint: remove some redundant automake _SOURCES
      doc: clarify --help output for some optional arguments
      dd: fix issues in the count_bytes and seek_bytes flags change
      doc: fix a typo about seek_bytes in NEWS
      ls: adjust errnos indicating device non support for xattrs
      tests: work around a block alignment issue in dd/sparse
      maint: refactor copy to use is_nul()

Rodrigo Campos (1):
      doc: timeout: document the exit status when run with "-s KILL"

Roman Rybalko (1):
      dd: add support for the conv=sparse option

Changes in gnulib since v8.15:

* gnulib dc6246c...4730c3e (392):