paste utility usage in Windows

From: Cindy Armstrong
Subject: paste utility usage in Windows
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 12:39:18 -0400

Hello, I'm trying to use the paste utility in Windows XP. I have successfully implemented gawk and grep from this toolset in a Windows environment, but paste continues to be difficult.

> paste file1 file2   just sends the contents of file2 to standard out; I see nothing of file1.
> join file1 file2 sends NOTHING to standard out.

I actually have several files that I am trying to paste, and this works fine in a Unix environment, but I can't seem to make it work in Windows. Any suggestions? Am I using something incorrectly?

Thanks,

Cindy Armstrong

1C-009/045
dept  LXMS
512-286-5157
fax 512-973-4224

".....I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free!"
         - Lee Greenwood, "God Bless the USA"