CIFS is no fun

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: CIFS is no fun
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:32:01 -0700

As of the last writing, I hadn't actually started the rsync
because I just knew it would work.  "rsync --append" apparently
doesn't seek to the point where the last one left off.  I just
took a peek at it and, despite being busy pushing data over the
wire, there was no actual progress.  The file size was not
changing.  Thus, I think it was reading its way to the point
where it left off.  Not useful.

So, next, I tried the "dd" thingy.  The "dd" that started at
the beginning worked fine.  The others copied no data and
exited immediately.

So I tried my "pcopy" program.  Success.  After just a few minutes:

$ ls -l
total 106724
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev 42827776 Apr 27 12:26 iso-0
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev  9551872 Apr 27 12:26 iso-1
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev  9551872 Apr 27 12:26 iso-2
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev  9551872 Apr 27 12:26 iso-3
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev  9420800 Apr 27 12:25 iso-4
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev  9420800 Apr 27 12:25 iso-5
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev  9420800 Apr 27 12:25 iso-6
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev  9420800 Apr 27 12:25 iso-7
-rw------- 1 bkorb dev    90112 Apr 27 12:20 iso-8

The data rate is huge (8x speedup) compared to single thread.
(I set the destination to separate files instead of
offsets within the same file.)