RFE: hash-type in sum utils

From: Ondrej Oprala
Subject: RFE: hash-type in sum utils
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 07:18:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,
  I'd like to consult this RFE
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2009-11/msg00341.html and
  find out if my proposed solutions would be satisfactory. There shouldn't be a
problem with printing the
  hash-type prefix before printing the generated hash. My concerns are more
with the hash utils' logic
  during hash check. Should the utils recognize the prefix/prefixless version
of the input on their own
  or should they require the proposed '-l' switch during the checking as well?
Personally, I'd lean more
  towards the idea of automatic prefix recognition, which shouldn't be too hard
to implement and would probably
  feel more natural to everyone.
  Cheers,
   Ondrej Oprala