Re: Command-line program to convert 'human' sizes?

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: Command-line program to convert 'human' sizes?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 20:49:24 -0500

On 12/05/12 19:58, Jim Meyering wrote:
Assaf Gordon wrote:
Somewhat related:
How do I add a rule to build the man page (I'm working on passing 'make
syntax-check').

I've added the following line to 'man/local.mk':
     man/numfmt.1:    src/numfmt

But it doesn't get build (after bootstrap+configure+make).
You'll have to add "numfmt" to the list of programs in
build-aux/gen-lists-of-programs.sh

Then, be sure to run "make syntax-check", and it'll cross-check
a few other things that have to be synced with that list.
I already added it to "gen-lists-of-programs.sh" (under "normal_progs") - and
the compilation works fine.
I've also added a line to "tests/local.mk" and "make checks" works fine.
But the man page part seems to be ignored.

The strange thing is that "make" doesn't complain about the job, it simply
ignores it:
===
$ grep numfmt man/local.mk
man/numfmt.1:    src/numfmt
$ ls man/numfmt.1
ls: cannot access man/numfmt.1: No such file or directory
$ make man/numfmt.1
gordon@tango:~/projects/coreutils$ ls man/numfmt.1
ls: cannot access man/numfmt.1: No such file or directory
===

When I add "-d" to make, it ends with these messages:
===
$ make -d man/numfmt.1
< snip >
   Prerequisite `src/numfmt.o' is older than target `src/numfmt'.
   Prerequisite `src/libver.a' is older than target `src/numfmt'.
   Prerequisite `lib/libcoreutils.a' is older than target `src/numfmt'.
   Prerequisite `lib/libcoreutils.a' is older than target `src/numfmt'.
   Prerequisite `src/.dirstamp' is older than target `src/numfmt'.
  No need to remake target `src/numfmt'.
 Finished prerequisites of target file `man/numfmt.1'.
Must remake target `man/numfmt.1'.
Successfully remade target file `man/numfmt.1'.
===

But the man file is not created.

Thanks,
 -gordon