[coreutils] SHA-3

From: Nelson H. F. Beebe
Subject: [coreutils] SHA-3
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:47:19 -0700 (MST)

I suspect that coreutils developers are already aware of the final
decision in the several-years-long NIST competition to come up with a
followon to the SHA-1 and SHA-2 checksum algorithms.

The winner (out of 64 submissions) was announced on 2-Oct-2012:

        NIST Selects Winner of Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA-3) Competition
        http://www.nist.gov/itl/csd/sha-100212.cfm

        SHA-3
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-3

If a near-term coreutils release can include an SHA-3 utility, even if
an early version did not exploit assembly-level directives for
squeezing the utmost in performance out of particular hardware, it
will help make the new checksum algorithm more widely known.

There is already work on SHA-3 reported on the address@hidden
list, with the first posting on 12-Dec-2012 (yesterday, as I write
this), so it may be possible to use already-developed GPL-compatible
code for inclusion in coreutils.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: address@hidden  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       address@hidden  address@hidden -