enhancement suggestions for "sort" and text editor

From: john
Subject: enhancement suggestions for "sort" and text editor
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:02:30 -0600

Gentlemen;

In the course of trying to emulate some simple data processing functions of the early mainframe era, I was surprised they weren't readily supported by current standard tools.

In particular I wish to enter text into predefined (fixed location) fields in a record as opposed to variably delimited fields. In other words emulate the punched card record where card columns are assigned to particular data character columns. Those card columns then just become a text column range of a single record. If I could just set perhaps 10 arbitrary tab stops (in any simple editor), it would be sufficient for this purpose. The tab key would just advance to the next stop in succession, tho not necessarily regularly spaced. In the simplest sense, a command line switch could just accept a list of tab columns in ascending order. The end of a field need not be defined, too much text would just spill into consecutive columns. The expansion of the tab into spaces would be necessary as there is no assurance subsequently used utilities could synchronize those stops.

The companion problem was using "sort" to accept keys based upon fixed character columns vs delimited fields. I would like to sort keys in specific columns without regard to potentially missing fields. There appears to be character positioning of keys, but relative to a delimited key field. Perhaps a notation like a field "0" with a character position could refer to just absolute character positions e.g. "-k0.5, 0.9" indicating a key of character columns 5 thru 9, regardless of what may or may not reside on characters 1-4.

I believe such enhancements could increase the generality of these utilities without bloating them with seldom needed capability. I am not a programmer of the modern era and find it disappointing that special code appears to be needed for what used to be basic.

Regards,

John Kotrba