Re: coreutils FAQ link in manpages and/or --help output

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: coreutils FAQ link in manpages and/or --help output
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:12:05 +0000

On 02/28/2013 08:40 AM, Ondrej Vasik wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-02-28 at 09:26 +0100, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
>>> On February 28, 2013 at 4:23 AM Pádraig Brady <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I've adjusted the above to only reference online resources,
>>> and ensure the links are at the end of each line.
>>> The result is now at http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/
>>
>> I like it.
>
> Looks good, still - as it is now online, it would be good to mention the
> importance of mentioning the coreutils version and distribution/system
> in the bug report even in the "Getting help" section. It is quite common
> the downstream patch or too old version in distribution is the culprit
> of the error. This could reduce the amount of mail pingpong turnarounds
> a bit.

Done. I was debating whether reporting bugs should just link
down to a section below with all the details, but we'll keep
everything in the top "Getting Help" section for now.

Also pushed the source change to the repo
(with Bernhard's s/oneline/online/ typo fix,
 and a test adjustment).

thanks,
Pádraig.