Re: Move Command Feature

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: Move Command Feature
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2013 21:38:54 +0200

On 04/05/2013 09:07 PM, Michael Boldischar wrote:
> For what it's worth, I still think a safe move flag in "mv" adds value.

Instead of a general "safe" idea, I'm wondering against what error cases
mv should be made aware of?

I.e., there are cases when creating the new files/directories fails,
when reading or writing fails, and when unlinking the old files/directories
fails.

IMHO the only solution to be sure mv completely finished its job is
when all steps are done. Therefore, using cp+rm makes most sense.
Thinking iterative, rsync may be the best option.

Have a nice day,
Berny