Re: Adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands

From: Sami Kerola
Subject: Re: Adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 11:54:01 +0100

On 12 May 2013 04:30, Lokesh Walase <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am interested in adding "progress bar" feature to "cp" and "mv" commands.
> For this I downloaded the latest source code GNU-coreutils-8.21.
> I have fair knowledge of "C" and can understand the code.
> However the code is too big and I m right now confused as to what to do or
> where to start from, or what should I read and which part of code I should
> focus.
> Is this too ambitious to start with ?
> Kindly guide me.

Hi Lokesh,

I am not a maintainer, but I would find it surprising if progress bar
would be accepted this time.

But perhaps something could be done with the proposal. Would it make
sense to add 'rejected feature requests' section to

and have a link to latest summary in README.hacking? IMHO the rejected
section should contain only features which has already been discussed
couple times, such as the progress bar in cp or mv.

   Sami Kerola