Re: Adding a --preserve= option to install

From: Anthony G. Basile
Subject: Re: Adding a --preserve= option to install
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 20:08:34 -0400

On 06/07/2013 07:53 PM, Bob Proulx wrote:
Anthony G. Basile wrote:
Pádraig Brady wrote:
I don't suppose you could use `cp` rather than `install` for this
use case?
Using cp instead of install would be a long shot here for our
package manager people but I can talk to them.
Why?  What makes cp scary?  (I would be inclined to use rsync.)

I'm bothered by the asymmetry between cp and install because I'd
like my "make install" to be able to have options to preserve
metadata selectively, ownership, perms and xattrs.
But "make" reads a Makefile and performs the stated actions.  There
isn't anything magical about "make install".  You can still type in
"make install" and it will run whatever is in the Makefile.  It could
be written up to use 'install' or 'cp' or 'rsync' or some combination
of all of the above and it will still be "make install".

Bob
You're thinking from the point of view of someone writing a Makefile. The point is Gentoo is a distro and we have to do this distro wide through our package management system on tens of thousands of packages with already written build systems where "make install" means running install. We're thinking along the lines of either exporting INSTALL or setting ac_cv_path_install.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]