Re: du man page -- --separate-dirs explanation

From: C de-Avillez
Subject: Re: du man page -- --separate-dirs explanation
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 08:42:56 -0500

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 7:00 AM, Pádraig Brady <address@hidden> wrote:
On 06/06/2013 10:00 PM, C de-Avillez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This comes from https://launchpad.net/bugs/1187044. The OP (although completely confused initially) raises a point that I sort of agree. The man page for 'du' states, for  --separate-dirs, "do not include size of subdirectories"; but it is not really clear what that means -- a first read I had got me also a bit confused.
>
> On the other hand, I am having problems trying to convey something more "clear".
>
> separate directory size from directory contents
> output size of directory separate from size of directory contents

Well that's a bit ambiguous too since non directory entries
are included with --separate-dirs.

> I think something like this could be used, but I would like some input before going on.

I see the original confusion in the man page,
also the texinfo was a bit confusing to me.
So hopefully the attached clarifies both appropriately.

thanks,
Pádraig.

I think it does -- at least also for me. And, yes, my tries were also confused (as, I guess, I was).

Thank you, Pádraig.

--
..hggdh..