Re: question about behavior of sort -n -t,

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: question about behavior of sort -n -t,
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 17:09:55 -0600

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sort.html

>> -n
>>     Restrict the sort key to an initial numeric string, consisting of
>> optional <blank> characters, optional minus-sign, and zero or more digits
>> with an optional radix character and thousands separators (as defined in the
>> current locale), which shall be sorted by arithmetic value. An empty digit
>> string shall be treated as zero. Leading zeros and signs on zeros shall not
>> affect ordering.
>>
>> -t  char
>>     Use char as the field separator character; char shall not be considered
>> to be part of a field (although it can be included in a sort key).

As I read that, I see no limit on length; '-n' (and any other sort key)
is free to snarf up characters including the field boundary that
separates what is otherwise multiple fields, unless you use -k to state
otherwise.  In the absence of any other limit, how many characters get
snarfed depends on the locale definition of radix character, thousands
separator, and any other locale-specific numeric forms.

>> Perhaps less likely to be used in real life, but still apropos to
>> the example:
>> $ printf '1202\n2011\n' | LC_ALL=C sort --debug -t0 -s -n -k1,1
>> sort: using simple byte comparison 2011 _ 1202 __
>> $ printf '1202\n2011\n' | LC_ALL=C sort --debug -t0 -s -n sort:
>> using simple byte comparison 1202 ____ 2011 ____
>> And you'll get the same behavior on Solaris or BSD sort (at least,
>> assuming they don't have blatant POSIX compliance bugs). Once you
>> understand WHY the above example has two different sorts, based on
>> whether -k is used, you'll understand why we can't stop parsing -n
>> at a comma even for -t, in a non-C locale.
>>

> I understand why the above examples give two different sorts right
> now. I just think that, in your example, -t0 should mean that 0 is no longer
> a numeric character but a field-separator (regardless of locale) and
> therefore that sort should stop on the first line at 2.

Admittedly, that might be a nice intuitive meaning; but it's not
historically accurate, so POSIX didn't specify it as such - and we can't
change it without risking breaking someone that depends on POSIX
semantics.  Without -k to stop things, the -t0 means that '0' serves as
BOTH a separator AND a numeric character - you are sorting on numbers
that span multiple fields.  The only way to make numeric parsing stop at
a field boundary it so use -k to tell sort to stop its key comparison at
that boundary (or to add a new option to request something different
than POSIX, but we're reluctant to add new options to sort that would be
very corner case in their usage).

>> Rather, the lack of -k determines how far -n will parse, regardless
>> of locale; it's just that some locales let -n parse farther than
>> others.
>

> Don't you actually mean here that "the lack of -k determines how far -n will
> parse, depending on locale."

Or even: "the lack of -k has a locale-independent effect of letting -n
parse as far as possible; then -n has a locale-dependent effect of how
far that actually is".