Re: Full Julian date in date command formatting options?

From: Erik Auerswald
Subject: Re: Full Julian date in date command formatting options?
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 00:18:49 +0200

Hi,

On 10/12/2013 12:04 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
[re-adding the list, with permission]

On 10/11/2013 01:53 PM, Reed Underwood wrote:
For example, The Julian Date for 00:30:00.0 January 1, 2013 is
2456293.520833.

If the astronomical term is what you want, then maybe you really do have
a format that cannot be expressed in any existing notation, and maybe it
really is worth burning a % notation.  But how common is the
Astronomical Julian Date in shell programming?

I instinctively turned to 'date' for the full Julian date for astronomical
purposes,
but I concede that this is not an incredibly common use case.

I'd say that 'date' is the natural program to try for date manipulations. ;-)

GNU systems are very useful in scientific settings, IMHO adding full Julian date in the astronomical sense to 'date' further enhances this.

Thanks,
Erik