Re: Feature Request: ls --no-sym-destinations

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Feature Request: ls --no-sym-destinations
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:43:05 -0700

Brian Nash wrote:
> I recently noticed that someone on IRC was looking for a way to use
> `ls -la' without the destination of symlinks clogging up the
> output.  I believe this would be an excellent feature to include in
> the coreutils package.  It would also (theoretically) be an easy
> addition.

Already there.  Try the -L option.

  `-L'
  `--dereference'
     When showing file information for a symbolic link, show information
     for the file the link references rather than the link itself.
     However, even with this option, `ls' still prints the name of the
     link itself, not the name of the file that the link points to.

  $ ls -laog
  total 8
  drwxrwxr-x 2 4096 Dec 16  2011 ./
  drwxrwxr-x 4 4096 Dec 16  2011 ../
  lrwxrwxrwx 1   17 Dec 16  2011 link1 -> ../dir1/datestamp
  lrwxrwxrwx 1    7 Dec 16  2011 linkdir2 -> ../dir1

  $ ls -laog -L
  total 16
  drwxrwxr-x 2 4096 Dec 16  2011 ./
  drwxrwxr-x 4 4096 Dec 16  2011 ../