Throttle option for GNU cp

From: Chris Jack
Subject: Throttle option for GNU cp
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 11:39:50 +0000

I've been doing some large copies using cp and sometimes annoying the sys admins around here by using large amounts of network bandwidth. nice does not make any significant impact especially as I'm often running cp on a PC with nothing much else running.

Can I request that a throttle option is added to cp to allow the copy process to proceed more slowly and hence use less network bandwidth,

Regards
Chris