Re: du always stats all mount points now?

From: Bernhard Voelker
Subject: Re: du always stats all mount points now?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 09:21:45 +0200

On 09/18/2015 05:30 AM, adavies42 wrote:
> somewhere between 8.12 and 8.20, du seems to have acquired the behavior of
> stat'ing all mountpoints during its startup
>
> why does it do this? it seems to have no connection to what's being du'd, and
> if stat blocks on one of the mountpoints (e.g. in some FUSE failure
> scenarios), it means the entire du run blocks, even if the broken mount has
> no connection to what i'm actually trying to do

Thanks for the report.
Indeed, the stat()ing of all mount points can easily be avoided
by doing it only when needed, i.e., when FTS has detected a
directory cycle (FTS_DC).  The attached does this.

Would you mind giving us your name so that I can mention it
as "Reported by: ..."?

Have a nice day,
Berny