use of renameat2

From: Eric Blake
Subject: use of renameat2
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 09:05:45 -0700

Where could we use the new Linux renameat2() syscall within coreutils,
if it is available?  Oftentimes, having a working client of a syscall
for a few filesystems is incentive for other filesystems to prioritize
implementing support for the syscall.  I'm really impressed by
renameat2()'s ability to atomically swap two files, and moreso by its
ability to replace a symlink with a directory or vice-versa (without an
intermediate TOCTTOU race that we currently face via remove()/rename()
pairs).

http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi.pl?topic=renameat2&ampsect=2