Re: Multibyte support for sort, uniq, join, tr, cut, paste, expand, unex

From: Eric Fischer
Subject: Re: Multibyte support for sort, uniq, join, tr, cut, paste, expand, unexpand, fmt, fold, and pr
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 14:53:21 -0800

I am now tracking which of Assaf's tests my implementation passes and fails
in https://github.com/ericfischer/coreutils/issues/2. The ones that fail
seem to be because:

* I have not implemented cut -n
* My tr will not remove bytes from the middle of characters
* Linux and MacOS disagree about whether nonbreaking space is a space or a
graphic character

The first of these is clearly my bug that I need to fix. The second I think
is arguably an error in the test, because POSIX specifies that octal
escapes represent characters, not bytes. The third is a portability problem
that should probably be solved by the use of a different character in the
test.

Eric