Re: Du feature request - group reporting

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: Du feature request - group reporting
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:42:32 -0600

On 01/25/2018 12:11 PM, Daniel Gall wrote:
> It is interestingly me that POSIX specifies groups but does not specify that
> reporting tools will contemplate sub-aggregating output by group. Please
> consider the following diff patch to du.c or something like it.  I of course
> checked your list of rejected features for du and found nothing remotely
> similar in the list.

Thanks for the submission.

> Thank you
>
> Dan.
>
> A diff patch against du from coreutils 8.26:
>
> coreutils-8.26> !diff
> diff src/du.c src/du.c.bak
> 38d37
> < #include "grp.h"

Unfortunately, 'ed script' diffs are unusable; they are too easy to
break, especially if other parts of the file have changed in the
meantime.  We prefer 'git diff' output against the latest coreutils.git,
but any program which can produce unified diffs (diff -u) is better than
an ed script diff.

A feature addition requires documentation, NEWS update, and preferably
testsuite additions to be complete (although if the maintainers like the
feature idea enough, others may be willing to help you with those parts).

If nothing else, could you at least include an example command-line
usage with your new option and the new output it produces?

Also, as a new feature, and given the length of your patch, it would be
best to have copyright assignment in place; is that something you are
willing to do?

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266