criawips-devel

[devel] Re: GOCollab, Peer-to-Peer collaborative document preperation.

From: msevior
Subject: [devel] Re: GOCollab, Peer-to-Peer collaborative document preperation.
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:58:43 +1000 (EST)

> For Gnumeric, this is actually implemented already.  Simply open a new
> view
> on the other users' displays.
>
> (There are a few security issues with doing that.  People had better
> trust each other.)

Hi Morten,
          Yes indeed! Thanks for showing me the code in gnumeric. The
difference to this is that is the applications are run in
totally different address spaces. Openning a view on another
display via X11 forwarding nicely solves the synchronization
problem since the application remains essentially running on the
primary users computer. Different operations happen within
seperate calls of the gtk-idle loop.

I think this is a fine solution for a few users on a fast local network
and may be all we really need to do.

Cheers

Martin