dazuko-help

Re: [Dazuko-help] RHEL5 x86_64 and syscall hooking?

From: Bill Lutton
Subject: Re: [Dazuko-help] RHEL5 x86_64 and syscall hooking?
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:15:19 -0600

Thanks for your reply.  I should have been more forthcoming in my question.

Initially I tried configuring/building/loading Dazuko like this:
   ./configure --enable-syscalls --mapfile=/boot/System.map-2.6.18-el5
   make clean; make
   /sbin/insmod ./dasuko.ko
At this point the system "hung".

Having noticed the "Important Note:" in the first attempt I then tried:
   ./configure --enable-syscalls --mapfile=/boot/System.map-2.6.18-el5
--sct-readonly
   make clean; make
   /sbin/insmod ./dasuko.ko
At this point the system "hung".

I am using Dazuko-2.3.4.
I am running a stock install of RHEL5 x86_64 from their ISOs (2.6.18-8.el5)
uname -a:  Linux RHEL564 2.6.18.8-el5 #1 SMP <date> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64
GNU/Linux
Note:  got same results with the stock RHEL5.1 x86_64 ISOs (2.6.18-53.el5).
I am running it in a VMWare 6.0.2 VM on Windows XP SP2 on a Core2Duo CPU.

I've scanned the archives going back about a year and didn't notice my situation addressed specifically, however I did take note of this: http://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?105824 which didn't sound hopeful.

In summary, I am hoping to learn:
- Is there a set of config options that will allow Dazuko to do syscall hooking
on RHEL5 x86_
64?
- Should I be using a different version of Dazuko?
- Would it be helpful to provide logs of the config/build output?
- I don't know how to get console output of the fault running in VMWare but would be happy to try to get it if it would help (and if someone could provide a pointer to how to set this up).

Thanks again in advance,
Bill L.

PS
Note: the 32bit variants of RHEL5 seem to work OK.
Further investigation (looking at the pte bits) shows that the kernel pages in question are not write protected on 32 bit RHEL5 but are write protected on 64bit RHEL5. Further, it seems that the remedy, change_page_attr (or its descendants), is where the fault is occuring for me.

----- Original Message ----- From: John Ogness