ddd

Re: ddd & bonobo

From: horos
Subject: Re: ddd & bonobo
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:50:47 -0800 (PST)

> Hi!
>
> horos <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Is there any plans on making the ddd project bonobo compliant - ie:
> > to take the central 'text' window (used for displaying code) and use
> > vim/emacs instead of the default text-viewer via bonobo component?
>
> No.  Unless someone writes a generic wrapper for Motif text widgets,
> this is just too big the effort, too little the gain.

hmm.. well, I disagree, since a) bonobo is gui-independent, b) the generic
wrapper would be reusable to other applications, and c) clickthrough + editing
is a *very* nice feature.

I tried the emacs mode, integrated with ddd, and all I got was basically
the ability to graph from emacs - but I still had to type 'graph ...' etc.
to get the functionality.

Now, this might not mean much to seasoned users, but for newbies its pretty
much expected. And having the ability to plug in *any editor* here would
open the usership of ddd up quite a bit.

> You may ask the GVD people (see the link on the DDD web page) whether
> this may be feasible with GVD in the future.

I'll do this..

Ed