ddd

Perl, ddd and parameters.

From: Mario De Weerd
Subject: Perl, ddd and parameters.
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:02:36 +0100

Hello

I am using ddd 3.3 (sparc-sun-solaris2.7) for perl program debugging and
I am struggling a bit with what is apparently a missing feature (or a
bug).

The perl program I am debugging, requires parameters.  As I can not
define these parameters on the command line of ddd (not as far as I
found), I invoke the perl program from within the graphical interface
("Open Program"), while specifying all the parameters there.
Say that my perl program is "foo" and the paramter(s) is "fooparam".
So I do :
File -> Open Program -> "foo fooparam"

Then the interface shows a line like:
  exec "foo fooparam"

And I can start debugging.  At this point I save the session (hoping to
restart it later).
Restarting the session is not possible however; the parameters are not
saved in the 'init' file that belongs to the session.

That is where I started to hack a bit.  I modified something in the
'init' file, adding the fooparam.
Ddd*restartCommands: \
exec \"foo fooparam\"\n

At that moment, I can use
File -> Open Session -> foo

And the parameters are taken into account.

Then I started adding breakpoints and stuff and I saved the session
again.  The init file no longer shows the parameters and we have:
Ddd*restartCommands: \
exec \"foo\"\n\

That is where I thought that something might have been overlooked.

Best regards

Mario De Weerd