ddd

Re: readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:43:29 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal, Freddy...:

>I get this warning when I start up ddd-3.3 on AIX:
>
>readline: warning: turning on OPOST for terminal

It's coming from readline, but since both gdb and ddd have statically
linked in versions of readline, it may not be easy to tell which version.
My guess is it's coming from gdb 5.x.

>I am not really sure if this warning comes from ddd itself or
>from the inferior debugger (gdb 5.0).
>
>Does anyone know what this warning means?

When Chet Ramey was going through the bash 2.00 beta cycle several years
ago, a friend and I were on the developer's list for bash, and ran into
a lot of weird problems with it and terminal modes on our AIX 4.x systems.
Chet had us try a whole bunch of things, but it eventually came down to
AIX having some rather weird defaults for stty settings when you allocate
a new pseudo-terminal.  To work around the problem, Chet added code to
readline (used internally by bash, and by lots of other programs) to detect
when `opost' mode is not on for an interactive terminal, and to turn it on.
It also spits out the warning.

It's essentially a workaround for some weirdness in AIX.

Tim