ddd

Ques. about remote debugging using gdb (Ignore previous)

From: David McCarthy
Subject: Ques. about remote debugging using gdb (Ignore previous)
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 20:52:42

Sorry about the html tags above.  Here is a cleaner view...

Thanks for your response Andreas.

Actually, I have tried these options. I tried using --rhost HOST_NAME but it does not help. I do not get an interactive remote shell with --rhost. DDD just hangs. I tried putting some extra traces into gdbinit.C so that I can see what is going on. And in the function InvokeGDBFromShellHP( ), when the shell output is sent in, it reads that as a shell prompt ( which is correct ), and it assumes that gdb should be started, so I never get the chance to telnet to another machine before the gdb starts.

Is there a way to tell ddd that it should spawn a remote shell, and not start gdb right away. And let me enter a few commands before entering gdb... This would help me a lot since once I get a remote shell on the rhost machine, I can do the telnet etc. and then invoke gdb and so on... Any suggestions.
Thanks for your help.

From: Andreas Zeller To: "David McCarthy" CC: address@hidden Subject: Re: Ques. about remote debugging using gdb Date: 02 Jul 2001 16:22:08 +0200

Hi!

"David McCarthy" writes:

> I am trying to debug a program on my client's site. So, in order to get the > gdb shell fired up on the client machine, I have to invoke a shell command to > telnet to machine A, and then telnet to another machine B from machine > A. Then, I can start gdb on machine B and debug. > > From what I understand about ddd, it should not care so much as to how many > machines I have to telnet thru as long as it gets the gdb prompt and it takes > over from there. > > So, is there a way to tell ddd to invoke a remote shell, and hand over the > control to me i.e. let me login to machine B before trying to launch gdb in > that shell. > > Any suggestions/pointers are greatly appreciated...

The DDD manual? Look for `--host' and `--rhost' options.

--
Andreas Zeller Universitaet des Saarlandes http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/st/staff/zeller/