ddd

Re: DDD configure breaks on solaris 8

From: Melissa Terwilliger
Subject: Re: DDD configure breaks on solaris 8
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 16:44:10 -0400

Here is the log as requested.

configure:7944: checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11
configure:7966: c++ -o conftest -g -O2 -fpermissive   -isystem
/usr/openwin/include   -L/usr/lib/sparcv9 -R/usr/lib/sparcv9
conftest.C -lX11  -lSM -lICE -lsocket  -lnsl  -lSM -lICE -lsocket  -lnsl
1>&5
/usr/openwin/lib/libdga.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 7952 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char XOpenDisplay();

int main() {
XOpenDisplay()
; return 0; }

I don't know why it's looking in /usr/openwin/lib/ because I am specifying
--x-libraries=/usr/lib/sparcv9

I do have another copy of the file in /usr/openwin/lib/sparcv9/libdga.so.1
Is there a way to tell it just to grab this file from the other folder?  Is
this the file that the --x-includes would  refer to?

On 5/22/03 3:56 PM, "Tim Mooney" <address@hidden> wrote:

> In regard to: DDD configure breaks on solaris 8, Melissa Terwilliger said...:
>
>> I'm trying to install DDD on a Solaris 8 machine and I get this error:
>>

>> checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
>> configure: error: The X11 library '-lX11' could not be found.
>>                  Please use the configure options '--x-includes=DIR'
>>                  and '--x-libraries=DIR' to specify the X location.
>>                  See the files 'config.log' and 'ddd/config.log'
>>                  for further diagnostics.
>> configure: error: ./configure failed for ddd
>
> Melissa-
>
> As with all configure scripts that are generated via autoconf, more
> detailed messages are logged to `config.log' (as it says in the message
> above).
>
> Why don't you look through config.log and search for the string
>
> checking for XOpenDisplay
>
> and then see what compile/link command happens after that, and what
> error results.
>
> Posting the text of config.log between (inclusive) the point where it
> says "checking for XOpenDisplay" and the point where it says "configure
> failed for ddd" may help someone diagnose what the problem is.
>
> Tim

Melissa Terwilliger
Space Physics Research Lab
AOSS Support
address@hidden

--You know you've spent too much time on the computer when you spill milk
and the first thing you think is, 'edit, undo.'