ddd

Re: Running DDD is getting harder and harder

From: rbd
Subject: Re: Running DDD is getting harder and harder
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 11:03:32 -1000 (HST)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Žarko Živanov wrote:

Shame, because DDD was
pretty powerful tool, and now, thanks to aging underlying graphics library,
slowly becomes unusable.

It is indeed a shame!

I am still using ddd under CentOS 7 for debugging C/C++ and it works well for me there, but it has been completely unusable on MacOS for a few years now due to a fatal startup bug related to libXt (graphics, as you have noted). I have learned how to get by with Apple's Xcode debugger under MacOS. Its debugging features are quite good but it involves some annoying setup overhead the first time you use it on a new executable that ddd, being designed from scratch as a standalone (i.e., non-IDE-integrated!) debugger, never required.

I hope someone will someday resurrect ddd with a new GUI or develop a new standalone debugger that doesn't require all the IDE baggage!

Roger Davis
Univ, of Hawaii