debian-sf-devel

[Debian-sf-devel] Problems building .debs from latest CVS

From: girardot
Subject: [Debian-sf-devel] Problems building .debs from latest CVS
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 20:43:54 -0400

I have never used a debian distro before so I am sure the most likely
explination for any troubles I am having all stem from that so please
forgive my newbie type questions.

I have a brand new, clean install of woody on an older hp vectra xa machine.
I didn't install very much during the initial debian install, just basically
accepted the defaults through the install, in tasksel i choose c/c++ dev and
nothing else, i didn't use the other package selection method at all.
uname -a:
Linux debian 2.2.20-idepci #1 Mon Dec 31 07:45:13 EST 2001 i686 unknown

I am now trying to install the very latest CVS of the debian-sf packages.

On this page:
http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/debian-sf/how_to_build.html

I was following the directions to build and test the latest split package
from CVS source so I checked out 2.6 fine and then came to these steps.

Put the right lines in your /etc/apt/source.list e.g.:
deb ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free

Update your local list:
apt-get update

Get needed package to compile:
apt-get build-dep sourceforge

after that last step I kept getting:
E: Unable to find source package for sourceforge

Eventually I changed /etc/apt/source.list to also include:
deb-src ftp://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib
non-free

and then things seemed to work fine, I just don't know if that was the right
way to fix the problem or if I had some sort of other config problem that
was preventing it from working, like my CVS checkout in the wrong spot or
something?

I ended up with .debs that are named like
sourceforge-common_2.6-0+11+_all.deb is that right for the new split
package?

The next step is:

debuild -us -uc

but I got an error that the command debuild did not exist.

I don't really know what the 'apt-get build-dep sourceforge' command was
doing, but it seemed like it was getting some debian packages in preperation
for building the .deb files. In this case the devscripts debian package was
needed because it supplies the debuild command but it wasn't installed on my
system. I was thinking that maybe the 'build-dep sourceforge' command should
also get and install devscripts.

I don't know if either one of these counts as a bug, but I'll be glad to put
them in the bug tracker if that is a better place for them.

However I am now having trouble with 'dpkg -i
sourceforge-common_2.6-0+11+_all.deb' so I wanted to check and see if maybe
something I did in this stage was the cause of it. I'll send that problem as
a seperate mail, but does the above sound acceptable for making the debs
from cvs source?

What parts will I have to redo when to test the next version when you do
another commit?

Thank you to the developers for all the hard work on this package.

Cheers,
blake