debian-sf-users

Re: [Debian-sf-users] DNS and SSH problems after installation.

From: Christian Bayle
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-users] DNS and SSH problems after installation.
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 23:22:33 +0100

Paul Sorensen wrote:

Hi,
Sorry for the long-winded question, but here it goes...

I've installed debian-sourceforge (2.5-29) on a server in my group and
have a few DNS and ssh related questions to help me get it working.
First some background: We are starting small, so all of our sourceforge
services (shell, cvs, lists, etc) will be implemented on a single
server.  Also, since the server is part of a larger network, DNS is
handled by a separate server.

Now, say my domain is "mygroup.myorg", the debian box containing the
sourceforge instance is "sf.mygroup.myorg".
Question 1. What kind of DNS setup would I setup in this instance?  Do I
run named locally and create a relationship with the larger name server?
You setup as if you had dns delegation, you can fill the
forwarders {
   ip of your dns server
}
in /etc/bind/named.conf

Question 2. The dns scripts seem to fail because they seems to assume
that "shell1.sf.mygroup.myorg" exists.  I know this because the
following appears at the end of the /var/lib/sourceforge/bind/dns.zone
each time it is generated:

; *** From here out is auto-generated ***
; Could not get ip for shell1.sf
; Could not get ip for shell1.sf
humm I know this one...
/usr/lib/sourceforge/bin/dns_conf.pl will give the answer
gethostbyname was unable to find ip for shell1
probably you should fill
/etc/resolv.conf with
nameserver 127.0.0.1 as a first dns server

Do I need to create some kind of alias to "sf.mygroup.myorg"?
only for convenience, and add some redirect in apache

Question 3. Also, there is already an sshd running on
"sf.mygroup.myorg", but sourceforge seems to have setup a chroot-jail
environment - do I need a second instance of sshd to listen for this
(hopefully somehow connected to "shell1.sf.mygroup.myorg")?
The jail is only for anoncvs and can be removed
You can setup one for sshd if you want, but it's not necessary, by default users have got restricted shell(cvssh) that only allow cvs,
but you can change this with admin web interface

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

Paul Sorensen

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.