dejagnu

Re: PATCH: use a slave interpreter

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain
Subject: Re: PATCH: use a slave interpreter
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 06:50:17 -0500 (EST)

I am giving it a spin on gdb.

If the slowdown is approximately 4% then that will be okay with me.  In
the long run, Moore's Law gives us 4% per month, and it's okay with me
to allocate 2% per month for toolchain expansion.  Most of that goes to
gcc.  :(  If dejagnu does something this expensive once per year then it
will be okay.

gdb has had bug with variables leaking from script to script in the
past.  I don't know if there are any cases where it intentionally
*wants* variables to leak.  I guess I'll be finding out.

There will be two deployment problems.  One problem is getting
gdb to be sandbox-clean before releasing this in dejagnu.
The other problem is what happens when I am testing all the time
with this feature, and other people are still using sourceware
dejagnu which does not have this feature.  It would be really
helpful to retire the sourceware version of expect+dejagnu before
deploying anything like this.

Michael C