Re: [Demexp-dev] Compilation of demexp

From: Sylvain Chevillard
Subject: Re: [Demexp-dev] Compilation of demexp
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:30:30 +0100

Hello,

Hello Sylvain,

[ Could you keep demexp-dev in your emails, this allows archiving for
people having similar issues as yours. I have allowed you to post on
it without being subscribed to it. ]

I had it in mind but forgot when I clicked on "Send" :-)

I should detect that we are under MacOS in the ./configure and set
appropriate compilation option.

Could you give me the result of:
 - uname -m
 - uname -o
 - uname -s
 - uname -r

% uname -m
Power Macintosh

% uname -o
uname: illegal option -- o
usage: uname [-amnprsv]

% uname -s
Darwin

% uname -r
7.9.0

./configure mentions some things about my caml installation but nothing about my system. Maybe you just don't log it.

Could you send them to me (by compiling with a "-warn A") so I could fix them?

See the attached files log.error.*

I'm surprised you can't do it yourself : can an unused variable be something architecture specific ?

Great! At least you have some code to play with. :-) Which part of
demexp do you need? Have you any plan for it?

Yes, it's great. I want to try both the client and the server. I'm very interested in demexp and want to try the client with your servers ; but I want also to launch a server myself to understand how all this stuff functions and maybe to use it eventually to take decision in some associations.

Do you want a complete log of make server ?

Yes, if this doesn't bother you. Compile with "-warn A -verbose" as
ocamlopt and ocamlc option. As it is working with ocamlc and not with
ocamlopt, it might suggest the thing which is different between the
two cases.

Best wishes,
d.

See the attached files log.server*

I'd end with three remarks :
1) You don't seem to know that the binary you provide for Mac OS X doesn't work. When you try to run it, you have the following error : dyld: ./macosx-demexp-gtk2-client-0.6 can't open library: /Users/fponscar/godi/lib/libcurl.3.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Indeed, I first tried to compile the client for that reason.
Actually, you should remove it from download and from the wiki and maybe provide a more sophisticated documentation to compile under Mac OS X. It is not a simple task since there are a lot of dependencies to compile demexp and I'm on it for one or two weeks. But it should be possible to make a specific tutorial. I can try to do it if you want.

2) It is a bit hard to find the sources of demexp. When you are in the wiki you click and re-click and, one time, randomly, you finally find the link to the sources. You should probably give a link to the sources in the "download page" (except if you intentionnaly decided to not put it here).

3) I don't understand perfectly the philosophical and practical difference between static linking and dynamic linkning but since it seems to be impossible to link statically under Mac OS X, you should fix it, at least modifying the configure script to take it in account.

Best regards,

Sylvain.