[Demexp-dev] Re: win32 and GTK

From: GISQUET Christophe
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: win32 and GTK
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:45:08 +0200

Good evening,

David MENTRE a écrit :
BTW, I can no longer make translation work on linux. (sigh)
What do you mean? The .po editor you used is not working anymore?

No, a different issue: the translation are not used when I start the
client with my French locale. But maybe I forgot something, I haven't
tested that part of the code for months. :-/

I had a discussion with ocaml-gettext author where he underlined how very picky the softwares were with the locale, for instance iso8859-1 vs. iso-8859-1. Maybe you could run LANG=fr ./demexp-gtk2-client

As I said privately to you, I prefer option 2 (embedded GTK installer)
because (i) we rely on *standard* GTK installer and (ii) the user has

I just noticed that unfortunately most gtk installers don't provide libglade2. The official one distributed with The Gimp for instance doesn't have it.

Only this one does provide it:
http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=12

The only remaining question is the behaviour of embedded GTK installer
when GTK is already installed on user machien (e.g. from a The Gimp
installation).

The Gimp GTK installer properly detects a previous installation by:
- detecting some registry keys (I'll do the same)
- proposing to remove it

The later point begs for the question: should we include libglade dll within demexp package or should we use a GTK installer providing it? I think the former solution is better because we can skip altogether the GTK installation when it is detected.

So the demexp installer would do those steps:
- detect GTK and deduce whether to install it; this is an incomplete decision, as it should also find if it is recent enough, and propose to update/uninstall it - display what software will be installed; those would be unmodifiable check boxes showing what is going to be installed: demexp always ticked, and GTK box ticked depending on previous result - if GTK is to be installed, extract the setup to demexp install folder, then run this setup; canceling the GTK setup should cancel the demexp setup

Best regards,
--
Christophe GISQUET