Re: [Denemo-devel] A patch for rhythmic entry (sub)mode.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A patch for rhythmic entry (sub)mode.
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:17:28 +0100

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 16:34 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I like what you have done with this patch. Is there anything at the
> moment to get me out of this rhythmic entry mode.
yes, if you close the rhythm toolbar you are out (view->rhythm toolbar)
> Hitting insert does
> not exit the mode.
yes, that's because it is a submode of whatever mode you are in. I was
thinking that this implementation detail could be hidden from the users
somewhat, especially if there is no practical use to be in any other
mode while doing rhythmic entry - the modes are not documented in the
manual and I haven't tried them out.
> I also think it would be cool if the rhythms pattern
> selectable by keybinding.
As I mentioned in a previous email I bind NextRhythm to the space bar
(see under the set keybindings, way down the list...)
Glad you like it. The reason for the "create rhythm" button suddenly
changing is I was trying to get control of the font, that way it would
be possible to make the rhythm patterns just by writing the labels using
a music font. Unfortunately, although I can select a font, I haven't
figured out how you install fonts so that they can be found... So to
make the rhythms readable on the buttons I may need to create icons by
jointing up images on the fly, which seems tedious.

I've made good progress with the pitch entry - I have
a lash up of some code from portaudio and some from aubio which is
detecting pitches very nicely. I will be struggling when it comes to
creating a build system that will build this - anyone with expertise in
configure and friends?