Re: [Denemo-devel] ideas on new features for future release

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] ideas on new features for future release
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:24:23 +0000

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:52 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> I have a few ideas for future releases:
>
> Fingering sub-mode
>       sub mode of insert or edit
>       user hits a character "12345PIMA etc ..." and each denemo note
This sort of continuous entry is what I think we can and should do for
lyrics, chord symbols and figured basses. I need to split staffs from
voices first, and then sort out multiple accelerator maps (as the
keypresses will be going to the drawing area window).
>       object gets a fingering assigned to it. Null values will not
>       print a fingering. The cursor should advance to the next note
>       after a char has been entered. Perhaps the fingerings will
>       only be visible in fingering sub-mode. For guitar there would
>       need to be both right and left hand fingerings for each note.
Can you give a short sample of LilyPond code showing what the output
would be? The output for a single two note chord at present looks like
this:
<a d'>4  \bar "|."

How do you add fingerings in LilyPond (three examples really - right,
left fingerings and Fret number indication)?

> Voice properties
>       This would add properties to that voice. Property values could
>       be stem direction, size (for separate secondary verse melodies)
This may come with what I have - again a sample LilyPond would be good.

> Slur support
?? We have both tie and Slur in Denemo at the moment. I have been
thinking that it might be nice to have some mouse modes, so that slurs
could be added by pointing and dragging between notes - rather like
adding slurs to a hand written copy.

> lilypond-book support
>       This will allow the user to create small musical excerpts that
>       are very small like one measure. Export options could then be
>       png, svg, jpg, etc ...
I've not looked closely at that - once again if you can give a short
sample of the output we need.

> The above are the most frequent reasons why I have to open up the
> exported lilypond file after denemo.

Thanks for the feedback.