Re: [Denemo-devel] Import LilyPond

From: Roy Rankin
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Import LilyPond
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 23:16:49 +1000

I had Denemo able to write Lilypond files, at least for the features I use, and read them back in at the beginning of the year. Without this capability Denemo does not suit my needs and is of no use to me.

Let me explain. I use Denemo to create a Lilypond file with the musical notes and basic structures which I then hand edit with vi to achieve my final file. In this process sometimes (fairly often really) I create something slightly wrong in Denemo. I have found fixing these problems is very easy in a Lilypond file, but very difficult to fix in Denemo. Thus I save the Demeno work in Lilypond format, fix the problem, read the file back into Denemo to continue entering the notes.

Once I have finished in Denemo, I can then use convert-ly if the version of Lilypond I am currently using is newer than the version Denemo produces.

When I have worked on getting Lilypond file read/write working for my usage, I concluded Denemo did not have the data structures or in some cases compatible data structures to hold many of the features used by Lilypond. Thus Denemo would never, save very major rewrite, be able to read general Lilypond files and write them back out without losing information. And of course as already been mentioned, Lilypond is a moving target (which I consider a major weakness of the program).

Regards,
Roy Rankin