[Denemo-devel] I am going to need help if we are going to use Novell's p

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: [Denemo-devel] I am going to need help if we are going to use Novell's package building system
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:47:47 -0500

The novell's building system is nice but it is also a pain. For each
distro their needs to be spec files (for the rpm based), and .dsc and a
few other files for the .deb based packages. For each distro
dependencies need to be taken care of. This is going to be more work
than I have time and motivation for. Each time we release a new file
this will all have to change. Each spec or .dsc file each repository url
etc...

While trying to set this up I can't help but think how I personally
never ever install binary packages unless it came from my distro. I
always compiled from source.  I also think it is to much work to create
packages for these disto's when the package maintainers will redo all
this anyway when they package it for {debian, suse, Fedora, etc.} I say
we just make a list of the various package maintainers for the major
distro's and let them know about it so they include it in the next
release. Perhaps they will even package it early for us.

I will be willing still use the Novell's system if some people sign up
for the service and joined my group. Perhaps the package maintainers? I
don't know. This seems like a lot of work and I would rather by writing
code or doing other things.