Re: [Denemo-devel] Running Denemo from the tcl interpreter

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Running Denemo from the tcl interpreter
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:44:08 -0500

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:50 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 09:02 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > > I am back home, but won't try and post up a
> > > summary yet, but I am sure we are on a good track now
> The bad news is that we are on a very lonely track. Swig is not built
> for what we are trying to do. Specifically it does not expect the
> program it is interfacing to to be event driven. So if we wanted to
> write a script that opens a .denemo file, did various operations saved
> it and exited, we could use the source files we have to create a library
> of routines, with main() being replaced by an initialization but ending
> with running a script, not running gtk_main_loop() and this would do the
> job.
> But this is not at all what we had in mind.
> This may not be fatal for the Swig approach, but whereas a couple of
> hours would have been enough we may need a couple of days, and we may
> lose something (e.g. multiple scripting languages), elegance, sanity...

If we have to lose multiple scripting languages I would say that we
should focus on Scheme. I don't know very much scheme at all. Its just
that lilypond already uses it and it is the default language for gnu
projects.

Yeah I suppose this swig thing would work better if the interface was
written in that target language. That would take too long.

> It may be good to look for something that is designed for what we want
> to do: we would like to be able to pass over a series of function calls
> (associated with names) to an interpreter object and then give the
> interpreter a script and have it execute the functions, using its own
> local storage for doing things like loops etc.

I am not sure what you talking about. Would it be just a plain text file
with a list of commands and not a real scripting language? Provide a
list of available commands and a few loop options?

addnote("des'", 384)

> This seems to me a fairly simple and sane thing to do, so I think we
> would be foolish to imagine we need to be setting foot into uncharted
> territory.
> I am not very good at looking & asking though...

I could ask the swig mailing list unless you think it is a waste of
time.

Jeremiah