Re: [Denemo-devel] Documentation of Scheme interface

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Documentation of Scheme interface
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 07:41:17 -0500

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 17:50 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 11:34 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > ok. Do you think it should return a string or is an int fine. I clefs
> > names are stored in an enum. I think I would have to write a function
> > return a string value. I saw that you wrote a define in denemo_types.h
> > but this is for an array. Should I write an array and have the value
> > looked up by the inter value corresponding with the enum clef value?
> Yes, just to emphasize specify 0 for the first value & put in the
> warning about the array of strings. (There may be a neater way of doing
> this which I have forgotten about, or never heard of, but this is C).
> (If you worry about wasted memory, the compiler knows which static
> arrays are never accessed and will chuck them away, even though in the
> scheme of things, this is miniscule).

You have been making many references about C and lack of object
orientation. Have you ever used Objective-C. My iphone has an
Objective-C available for it. I was tempted to install it and play
around with it during some commutes to work. I was wondering if we could
use that to convert some structures to Objective-C classes or
something.

> >  Or
> > should I just have the function return an int.
> Return a string: make it a rule that the built-in Denemo commands return
> a boolean (#t for the normal thing happened, #f for the exceptional
> case(s)), while everything else returns a string.

Ok. Thats clear.

Jeremiah