Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faul

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Features for a new release. (was Re: [Denemo-devel] Midi output faulty for whole measure rests in 4/2 time)
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 18:09:42 +0000

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 08:11 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> One of the signals in a Midi file or stream contains a
> message that contains a NOTE_ON status with a pitch and velocity
> values
> that accompany it. Then later a NOTE_OFF value with a pitch value and
> velocity. The duration of the note is determined by the NOTE_OFF
> subtracting the NOTE_ON time. Sometimes you can have several NOTE_ON
> times that overlap. This creates voices within the same midi track. It
> was your suggestion a while back to create a separate staff for each
> midi voice and that the users can merge the staffs if they wished. I
> am
> currently storing these NOTE_ON values in a GList. Once the note has
> been entered into denemo it gets deleted from the list. Normally if
> there are no other voices in the track (analogous to staff) there
> would
> only be one note structure element in the GList. The number (if any)
> of
> extra voices at any given time can be determined by judging the amount
> of elements in GList. This can be obtained easily with the function
> g_list_length(GList *list). What I am unsure about is how to determine
> what goes on what staff and telling denemo to put the notes on staff
> x.
Right - I get it. You can tell when two notes are in different "voices"
by if they overlap, but you can't tell which "voice" to put a note in
when later on you have overlapping notes, and in between places where
there are overlapping notes you can choose which voice to put rests in
and which to put notes in. When the source of the midi is a human
performance the problems will become even worse as notes which really
belong in the same voice will often overlap.
This sounds like a serious project in itself - is there software out
there that is state-of-the-art for doing this? What sort of performance
can be gotten from the best stuff that there is? The first hit I get for
"midi to notation" in google is this one (out of date I think)
http://www.skytopia.com/project/articles/notation.html

I would look around before tackling this head on... Now that you have
explained it to me, it looks pretty daunting.