Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] midi input
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 13:48:51 -0600

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 18:08 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 15:35 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 16:22 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> >

> > > this seems to have no effect on all the above dignostics.
> > > You mentioned that midi.c was broken - do you recall in what way it was
> > > broken? Was it working at one time?
> >
> > I disabled it a while back because it was cause segfaults and have not
> > had time to fix it.
> I mentioned that by changing the code in denemo/src/midi.c from
> accessing /dev/sequencer to /dev/sequencer2 I had got past the first
> ioctl() call - I wrote
>
> > Also I have both /dev/sequencer and /dev/sequencer2 but
> > only the second responds to the ioctl (sequencer_fd,
> > SNDCTL_SYNTH_INFO,
> > &card_info) call in midi.c
> > it comes back with this:
> >
> > Synthesizer detected: Midi Through Port-0
> > Synthesizer supports 16 voices.
>
> well, I've now found that by doing
> aconnect 14 128
> (that is midi through port-0 to timidity) I get immediate-playback
> working in Denemo. The latency is again not good enough for seriously
> quick note input to Denemo. However, I could use it to test any code I
> write.
> So far I have a simple input routine reading from /dev/midi1, my
> music-keyboard. It gets NOTE_ON (0x90), <midinum>, <velocity> each time
> I press the a key, and (strangely) the same but with velocity 0 each
> time I release a key. (The MIDI standard says it should be NOTE_OFF
> (0x80) with the velocity of the release).
> Where to go with all this?

I read that sending a NOTE_ON signal with velocity 0 is very common. We
should have a switch for to treat it as if it was NOTE_ON. I noticed
that the other day when I actually had a chance to test it on a my midi
controller. Denemo entered each note twice because my controller was
also giving a NOTE_ON with velocity 0.

> I think we should turn on the immediate playback possibility - the
> segfaults may well have been from bugs elsewhere in the code, now fixed
> (I haven't encountered one yet after turning it back on).

This is good news. Thanks.

Jeremiah