Re: [Denemo-devel] updated Makefile.am

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] updated Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:07:26 -0600

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 20:45 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> > placing a
> > install.
> > > I get it - that would be ok (just one thing to do), though not quite
> > so
> > > obvious as creating the symlink in git & letting the make system
> > take
> > > care of what to do with it.
> >
> > I just created a symlink in denemo root directory from
> > MIDI/CheckPithes
> > to Educational. It did not work.
> ??? I am not sure what you did here. (i.e. what command you executed)

in the denemo directory:
ln -s actions/menus/MainMenu/EntryMenu/MIDI/CheckPitches
actions/menus/MainMenu/Educational/

> > It only worked if I was in The
> > educational directory and created the symlink like ln
> > -s ../../MainMenu/blah blah/MIDI/CheckPitches .
> This is the way to create a (soft) link in the directory Educational
> which would make it appear that the linked to file was present there (as
> far as many system calls are concerned, that is).

Are you suggesting I try it using hard links?

> > Then when I did:
> > make dist
> >
> > It converted the link into a copy. So I think if we want to do
> > symlinks
> > then we need to place it in the Makefile.am
> Is that the top level Makefile.am? (So, all the references to symbolic
> links would be in one place?)

yes. That would be the toplevel Makefile. I pushed to git an example.
Yes they would also all be in this toplevel Makefile.am. We may have to
do this method unless hard links work. I can give that a try if you
think it would be easier than putting a line in the Makefile.am. I am
testing if this works with make dist and packaging and installation in
a .deb package.

Jeremiah